That is the thing, its *almost* the same, but its not a true postgres
sequence. Postgres already has many years of development making sure
their auto number works, why can't I just use that instead of trying
to hack around the limitations of a system?

I don't have a choice. I *must* have native support for autonumber, or
I have to use another system that already allows me to.

--
Thadeus