Once assigned, the user_id that my app creates is never changed. I
would use the auth.user.id field, but I don't like the fact that it's
sequential and therefore, easily guessed. I doubt that uploads can be
hacked easily since you did such a good job with security.
Nevertheless, I prefer to have an additional layer of obfuscation by
having an encrypted user_id.