This is what I do to use the multiselect plugin...
I put this in my layout.html

  <script>jQuery(document).ready(function()
{jQuery('[multiple]').multiSelect();});</script>

so it works for all <select multiple/>. You can can the set the
options using the validators

  IS_IN_SET(....,multiple=True) o IS_IN_DB(db(subset),db.table.id,'%
(...)s',multiple=True).

If you have plugin_wiki from cube2py this is default behavior.

Massimo