Glad you like- I'd love to see this as part of the core.  Let me know if
there's anything else I can do.

>I am not so keen to include the sqlite part because it is too specific

Is this because it requires the extra module?  I kept it separate because
it's a Python, not web2py, specific class, but we could easily bake it into
log.py.
Personally I'm a big fan of SQLite for logging- what would it take to make
it less specific and ready for inclusion?

>we would need a way to deal with GAE/

Hans/Iceberg had a GAE solution in their orig file, but I haven't tested it:

if request.env.web2py_runtime_gae: # if running on Google App Engine

handler=logging.handlers.HTTPHandler(request.env.http_host,URL(r=request,f='log'))
# assuming there is an optional log action
    else:

handler=logging.handlers.RotatingFileHandler(os.path.join(request.folder,filename),maxBytes=maxBytes,backupCount=backupCount)

I'll re-introduce it into the code though.