Ideally, I'd like to avoid having to purchase a commercial product.
Plus, I don't think it would work.  mxODBC appears to be a replacement
for pyodbc.  It looks like mxODBC uses FreeTDS just like pyodbc.  The
problem appears to be with FreeTDS, so mxODBC doesn't look like it
would be a fix for my particular problem.  In fact, mxODBC says as
much itself:

(From the mxODBC change log, Changes from 2.0.7 to 3.0.0:
http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/changelog.html)

"Added new experimental subpackage mx.ODBC.FreeTDS which allows
connecting to MS SQL Server from Unix. This is still far from even
being called alpha due to the current lack of implementation support
of many important ODBC APIs in the FreeTDS ODBC driver."

The problem still seems to be FreeTDS.