There is a problem (in 1.83.2 and earlier version)

URL(....)

returns a string, not a helper. If you want to include the string
without escaping twice you have to do

{{=XML(URL(...))}}

In trunk, I modified the definition of URL so that it returns the
XML(..) helper wrapping the string. This will prevent

{{=URL(...)}}

from double escaping but will prevent you from doing

'http://127.0.0.:8000'+URL(..)

you would have to do

'http://127.0.0.:8000%s' % URL(..)

we cannot have it both ways.

URL is either a helper or a string... The more I think about it the
more I am convinced URL should be a helper not a string otherwise all
the examples in which we use {{=URL(...)}} are buggy. Therefore this
change should be considered a bug fix and not a breaking of backward
compatibility.

What do other people think? Should we change this as in trunk or leave
it alone?

Massimo