I get the same thing on a newly created app when running from trunk:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\web2py\gluon\restricted.py", line 188, in restricted
    exec ccode in environment
  File "C:\web2py\applications\crashtest/views\default/index.html",
line 27, in <module>
TypeError: 'XML' object is unsubscriptable