there are two issues:

1) file locking. I assume you are using windows and running from
source. You need to install the Mark Hammond win32 extensions.

2) shell error "Cannot operate on a closed database.". This is a known
problem. Do not use the web based shell to interact with the database.
Use the normall shell

python web2py.py -S yourapp -N -M