I am not exactly sure of what you are looking for... Better if you send specific code of your model, controler and views...

You can Change the ID representation that way :

db.auth_membership.user_id.requires=IS_IN_DB(db,'auth_user.id','%(first_name)s %(last_name)s (%(id)s)')

That generate a drop down...

db.auth_membership.user_id.represent=lambda value: "%(first_name)s %(last_name)s (%(id)s)" %db.auth_user.id[value]

Not pretty sure of the last one syntax...

That should be in your model... Since it is for the auth_TABLE you have to define your table that are not define explicitly by default... Here the specific section of the book on the subject : http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/08

Section :

     Customizing |Auth|

At the end for you redirection, I think that you have to make a custom jquery script. It could be nice if you develop a script to post it on the list, so other will be able to reuse it.

Jonhy