Hello Chris,
Thanks for the note and suggestions: Yes did reboot Apache and
Web2py...

Here is the result of the command I run in web2py dir:

drwxr-xr-x 6 www-data www-data  4096 2010-09-22 04:15 applications

>From the command it seems that the owner do have permision to read and
write....humm...Please let me know if you have any idea since I'm
still not able to upload app from admin. I upload them from sftp...

Thanks,
Yannick P.