This is the problem. when you use the script provided web2py is
installed and configured to run with apache and mod_wsgi as used www-
data.

If you do

python web2py.py -a "hello"

you run it as yourself and you do not have permisson to write on the
filesystem.
So after:

   wget http://web2py.googlecode.com/hg/scripts/setup-web2py-ubuntu.sh
   chmod +x setup-web2py-ubuntu.sh
   sudo ./setup-web2py-ubuntu.sh

you should just use your browser (remotely) and got to

   http://<yourhostip>/

and or

   https://<yourhostip>/admin

If you still have problems you may want to try

   sudo -u www-data python web2py.py -a "hello"

Massimo