Issue 1: I have some simple text input fields, INPUT(_name='xyz' ...)
whose values I pass as arguments to a controller via an ajax call. The
values that arrive at the controller have been encoded: spaces
replaced by "_" (underscore). How to decode the args on the controller
side, replacing the "_" with " "?

Issue 2: If one of the fields getting passed as an arg is blank, the
ajax routine fails because the URL looks something like this:
  my_ajax_routine///foobar
Blank fields are OK by me and will be caught by my ajax controller.
But ajax fails before getting to the controller. What to do?