Hi Alex,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I was hoping to make this app work
without resorting to client-side code mostly because I'm already
behind schedule and getting up to speed with even simple jQuery will
take time.  But if I'm not able to resolve the current issue with
web2py/Python on the server-side, then I will step back and take the
client-side approach.

Cheers!