Hi Jason,

Thank you for your reply.  I think I have tried something similar to
your suggestion.

The user clicks a link to advance to the wait page from a page I'll
call first page...

{{extend 'layout.html'}}
<h3>You are playing as a responder in this game...</h3>
<ul>
  <li>{{=A(B(T("Click to enter game")), _href=URL('responder_waits'))}}
</li>
</ul>

Then, the code on the wait page queries the database until a
confirmation value is found to be True

{{extend 'layout.html'}}
<h3>Waiting for a proposal... please be patient</h3>

{{import time}}
{{confirmed = False}}

{{while not confirmed:}}
{{confirmed = db.games[session.game_id].proposal_confirmed}}
{{time.sleep(0.5)}}
{{pass}}

{{redirect(URL('responder_responds'))}}

The corresponding controller function is simply...

def responder_waits():
    return dict()

The problem: the wait page is not displayed.  Rather, from a user's
perspective they are left at the first page and never see the wait
page. Once the database query completes they are taken to
responder_responds.  This is troublesome because if the user clicks
the link (on the first page) a second time then my application hangs.
Can you explain why the content of the wait page is not displayed for
the user?

Cheers... Mike