how are you passing along requests from apache to web2py ?
can you monitor if web2py actually receive all the headers you send ?

something like

def test():
    with os.open("path/to/file", 'wb') as g:
       for k,v in request.env.iteritems():
             if k.startswith('http_'):
                   g.write("%s: %s" % (k,v))

in your controller should be enough. try to call app/controller/test
with username and password and go to see the log...