Just my 2 cents.

Using the DAL on anything but web2py is going to be a pain in the ass and a
nightmare waiting to happen. This is due to its inherent forced procedural
coding style. You "can" wrap DAL calls as methods, but it just gets really
messy. I'm a clean code zealot, so I bet I care more than most.

For any kind of software your developing that uses object oriented
programming, use a database system that is structured around classes and
declarative bases. You will find this is much much much easier to integrate
into, for example a wxWidgets program, than the DAL is.

--
Thadeus