The problem was that I was using self.session.forget() thinking that
that would take care of getting rid of all of the session info. As
soon as I got rid of that line though, everything worked as normal...
As for references in python, that is how I thought python worked
(coming from C++), but this behavior gave me some doubt.

Thanks for the pointer to look at the environment argument, though
that didn't give any useful info...was there anything particularly
interesting about that argument in that class?