My app retrieves 10 records at a time, and the user can click Next to
view each page in order . That works until they reach the end of the
records, where they get IndexError: list index out of range.

To work around that problem, I wrote the following exception handling:

 try:
         redirect(URL(r=request,f='respond', args=p.id+1))
 except IndexError:
         redirect(URL(r=request,f='index'))

Which doesn't seem to work - I still get the error. Is there a better
solution?

I haven't yet figured out how to write logic that says "When the user
gets near the end, retrieve another 10 records so he doesn't run out."