>From a syntactical point of view it would not take much to support
multi-table circular references in web2py. That is not why they are
not implemented, They are not implemented because they are bad design
practice.

If this is a 1-1 relation, there is no need to table A to refer to B
and B to A. It is sufficient that A points to B.

If this is a many-many this should be done via a link table.

I cannot think of any test case when this is a good idea. web2py sets
constraints for the purpose of enforcing good practice.

Massimo