If I try the same server with sqlite everything works.

I made a small application without any database connections to try
finding out what the problem is.
If I add these two rows to it:
    import MySQLdb
    db=MySQLdb.connect(user="test",passwd="test",db="test")

No errors. When changing for an example the passwd I get
OperationalError: (1045, "Access denied for user
'test'@'localhost' (using password: YES)")

So I guess this means that web2py finds the MySQLdb and can open the
database.

And now when I started to change the non-database application to MySQL
trying to find what the problem might be it started to work. I just
hate when things start to work without knowing what the problem was.

Kenneth