You achieve scalability by replicating the web server behind a load
balancer. This is documented in the book, chapter 11, using HAProxy.
All frameworks work the same way in this respect. web2py has no
intrinsic limitations. The bottle neck is the database connection. All
frameworks have the same problem. You can replicate the database too
and web2py supports multiple database clients with Round-Robin.

On a small VPS, web2py in average, should execute one page in 20ms.
Depending on how many requests/second you need you can determine how
many servers you need.

web2py apps run on Google App Engine and that means arbitrary
scalability as long as you can live with the constraints imposed by
the Google datastore (these limitations will go away as soon as Google
releases MySQL in the cloud, which they announced some time ago).

Please ask the consultant: which .NET feature makes it scale any
better than web2py or Rails? If he explains we can address it more
specifically.

Massimo