We use web2py and Google Closure for a large application. The closure
library itself has a rather steep learning curve compared to jquery
and dojo.  It works very similar to dojo. When we started using
Closure July 2010 there was very little documenation to be found
online. It is improving but I still recomend.
http://oreilly.com/catalog/0636920001416
It really is worth it for a large application. Another recommendation
is to us plover -> http://plovr.com/  it is a build tool that prevents
you from haveing to learn their dependency system.