Thanks for the advice. This code seems to work:

******************
from gluon.settings import settings
from gluon.tools import *

# if running on Google App Engine
if settings.web2py_runtime_gae:
    from gluon.contrib.gql import *
    # connect to Google BigTable
    db = DAL('gae')
    # and store sessions there
    session.connect(request, response, db=db)
else:
    # if not, use SQLite or other DB
        db = DAL("sqlite://db.db")

db.define_table('todo',
    Field('time'),
    Field('thing'))

auth = Auth(globals(), db)

db.define_table(
    auth.settings.table_user_name,
    Field('name'),
    Field('password'))

auth.define_tables()

custom_auth_table = db[auth.settings.table_user_name] # get the
custom_auth_table

...but now I try to write a kind of log in/out interface in views/
layout.html. I don't know how it should look like in the case of
custom auth. I tried with this that that gave an error mesage:

{{if not auth.user and not request.function=='user':}}
{{=atuh.login(next=URL(r=request,args=args))}}
{{pass}}

Any ideas?