On Dec 15, 6:25 pm, "Branko Vukelic" <branko.vuke...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > I like GPL plus a (clarified) exception, but I wouldn't exactly say pbreit's
> > concerns are invalid. There clearly is some history of confusion and concern
> > among web2py users/developers and their clients:
>
> Point is, it's been discussed over and over, and over, and over... in a
> more-or less the same manner, too. Just saying BSD! won't make it BSD. I
> think that's become clear. And it's become painfully obvious that we are all
> divided between GPL and anything-but-GPL, and we have come to the conclusion
> that it's Massimo's call. Massimo called GPL, because we have also clarified
> that there isn't a technical threat to the end users. TECHNICALLY speaking,
> nobody should really be concerned as long as they are aware of the exception
> and agree to it. So, repeating discussion, using Gplophobia or Gnuphobia as
> the pivot is not productive, and it would go on like this forever.

Yes, I agree, but all I said was that the concerns are not invalid (I
also pointed out an issue that has not thus far been addressed --
standalone DAL). I think we can decide to stick with GPL while still
recognizing it may present a barrier for some (possibly simply due to
confusion or risk aversion rather than a real legal threat). This
issue is both complex and important, so a long discussion should not
be surprising. I, for one, have learned a lot, and assuming we follow
through, I believe the result of this long thread will be an
improvement in the license and therefore the comfort of prospective
users. Those uninterested in the topic can easily ignore the thread.

Cheers,
Anthony