Thanks for the replies! The variable that I'm operating with is python
type, not javascript. Mdipierro, your solution looks nice, but i can't
get it working. The value of the variable doesn't seem to change. Here
is my code:

from views/default/index.html:
{{n=1}}
false">plus</a>
{{=n}}

controller.py
def plus_n():
    # check this was called by the ajax post
    if request.env.request_method=='POST':
        # do anything you need to do
        session.n=session.n+1
        # optional return instructions in JS
        return "$('.flash').html('n was incremented').slideDown();"