I think a lot of users will be happy of seeing this:  web2py running
on hostgator.

Demo:   http://hostgator.web2py.es    (steps to install included)

There are a lot of people using Hostgator shared hosting, It is maybe
one of the best over the net, and their servers are very fast.
I've seen a lot of users trying to install web2py...if you do a Google
search, you'll can find that. A lot of users tried to install it (like
me) without success.

Some weeks ago I could successfully running web2py on hostgator shared
hosting.

Unlike Hostmonster or Dreamhost, on hostgator you can't compile custom
python version. But you can still run web2py.

STEPS for INSTALLING web2py  on Hostgator :

  1 - Via SSH shell,  find  python-2.7   using 'whereis' command:
    *       whereris python
    * ...................  something like 'usr/bin/python2.7'

2-  Hostgator has following python 2.7 modules , and are currently
installed on almost all servers.
However, in my case, I had to create a ticket.
If you are missing any of these modules, open a LiveChat o create a
ticket:

    * MySQL-python
    * flup
    * django
    * psutil
    * django-registration
    * sorl-thumbnail
    * south
    * django-keyedcache
    * django-livesettings
    * django-app-plugins
    * django-signals-ahoy
    * pycrypto
    * django-threaded-multihost
    * PIL
    * pyCrypto
    * paramiko
    * ElementTree
    * cElementTree
    * Pyrex
    * hashlib
    * Mercurial

3 - I unzipped web2py_src.zip  into  folder
'hostgator.web2py.es'  ( web root folder)

wget http://www.web2py.com/examples/static/web2py_src.zip
unzip web2py_src.zip -d /home/goldentiger/public_html
mv web2py/* hostgator.web2py.es/

4 - I created 'dispatch.fcgi'  starting with  python2.7 path

#!/usr/bin/python2.7
import sys
from flup.server.fcgi_fork import WSGIServer
import gluon.main
application=gluon.main.wsgibase
## or
# application=gluon.main.wsgibase_with_logging
WSGIServer(application).run()

and set execution permission:  chmod +x dispatch.fcgi

5- At last I created '.htaccess':
AddHandler fcgid-script .fcgi
Options +FollowSymLinks  +ExecCGI
RewriteEngine On