On Jan 1, 2011, at 7:05 AM, Arun K.Rajeevan wrote:
> I don't see the resultant url encoding apostrophe.
> Also, space is getting replaced by underscore!
>
> How can I determine whether that's actually an underscore?
>
> I see this tutorial and I'm not wrong in saying that apostrophes must be
> encoded, right?
> http://www.permadi.com/tutorial/urlEncoding/
>
> Or let me know how to correctly pass data, that includes apostrophe,
> underscore and spaces etc.
> When I'm passing data with an underscore my browser displays invalid request!
> I tried urllib.quote and urllibunquote but in vein :(

A main goal of the new URL rewrite system is to adhere as closely as possible
to the RFCs. There will always be *some* restrictions, for security and because
parts of the URL (application, controller, function) must be legal symbols in
the file-system and/or Python namespace. And I'm not so sure about full
internationalization, though support should be a lot better.

The existing system is simply a lot more restrictive than the RFCs demand.
That's good from the point of view of security and safety, but it also means
that you run into the problems that you're seeing.