I am working on a form which inserts data into five different tables.
To prevent the user from filling in the entire form and after form
submission finding that the object already exists, I would like to
check the existence of an object before hand based on two form fields.
These are the relevant bits of the form:

def create_form():
    form=SQLFORM.factory(
        Field(...),
        Field(...))
    form[0][2][2].insert(0,A('already in
database?',_onmouseover="this.style.cursor='pointer';",\

_onclick="javascript:details('%s')"%URL(r=request,f='retrieve',args=[document.getElementById(kvk_number).value,
\
    document.getElementById(subdossiernumber).value])))
    if form.accepts(request.vars,session):
    elif form.errors:
    return dict(form=form)

... args=...

should get the values entered in the fields named kvk_number and
subdossiernumber, the code above doesn't work, what is the correct
syntax to get these values and pass them as arguments to the retrieve
function?

Kind regards,

Annet.