I have found several problems with the DAL on GAE, which include:

validator problems with list:reference
http://code.google.com/p/web2py/issues/detail?id=147

represent problem with list:reference (SQLTable will not display)
http://code.google.com/p/web2py/issues/detail?id=149

and belongs is broken on GAE (and it worked in the old gql.py).
http://code.google.com/p/web2py/issues/detail?id=151

Each of the tickets includes a proposed solution.  I'd appreciate it if
people can confirm that my fixes work in general (they solved my problems)
and are appropriate.

As an FYI - I am building a new application from scratch right now and am
building it against 1.91.6 (the new DAL) and will be running it on GAE.  As
i build out my app i'll be sure to let the group know of any other issues i
run across with the new DAL.  In general it looks like a huge improvement.
Great work Massimo and crew!

Thanks so much

Christian

ps - i'm not sure how closely people are following the bug posts on google
code, please let me know if posting a message here is just too much noise,
cause i too hate noise!