I remember session.forget() documented as a performance enhancement - no
plans to alter session on this call, do this to save the write. I think this
would be the most common use. Adding the response parameter to unlock the
session file is only required if there is a need for concurrency in the same
session. Normally this would apply to a user using more than one
tab/window/browser from the same machine.

I have not explored what happens when you have multiple users behind a NAT
box because to the server they would all appear to be using the same IP
address. I need to study up on what causes the server to use a new session.