I think the default minimum is 8 and it seems there are 3 other
'overhead' threads. (if I just start web2py without any thread
options, ps shows 11 threads.)

If I do --maxthreads=2, I get 11 threads total.

If I do --minthreads=2 --maxthreads=2, I get 5 total (3 + 2?)

So, since the default is 8 and I'm setting max to 2, it seems likely
that somethings doing: max = min if max < min else max