Thanks

But I am confused by this;

I am using the welcome app;

I dont see these files (sample view default/user.html); so I am sure they loaded in web2py somewhere

Excerpt from the book:
web2py also includes a sample view "default/user.html" to render this function properly that looks like this:

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.

{{extend'layout.html'}}
<h2>{{=request
<http://web2py.com/book/default/docstring/request>.args(0)}}</h2>
{{=form}}
{{ifrequest
<http://web2py.com/book/default/docstring/request>.args(0)=='login':}}
<a  href="{{=URL
<http://web2py.com/book/default/docstring/URL>(args='register')}}">register</a><br  />
<a  href="{{=URL
<http://web2py.com/book/default/docstring/URL>(args='request_reset_password')}}">lost
password</a><br  />
{{pass}}

Notice that this function simply displays a |form| and therefore it can customized using normal custom form syntax. The only caveat is that the displayed form depends on the value of |request.args(0)| therefore you may need if statement like this: