About 1 I am sure Jonathan has something to day because of the new
routing features.

About 2. Make sure your database tables have a UUID field. When
exporting/importing web2py will use it to rebuild references (the ids
will not be synced but you can write a simple program to fix
references given the UUIDs).

It is on my todo list to improve support for this type of issues.

Massimo