Sounds like a web2py-way soolution, simple and elegant :=)

Kenneth

On Feb 3, 2011, at 6:14 AM, Franzé Jr wrote:
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Clayton<clayton.grass...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Hello,

I can't seem to find an easy way to check if a *group* has a
permission without making my own query on the auth_permission table
(and then I lose auth logging and the code is uglier).
auth.has_permission only works on users, not groups, as far as I can
tell. I need it for a control which is adding and removing permissions
from groups.

add_permission and del_permission use groups. Shouldn't there perhaps
be a function that checks whether a group has a given permission? Or
am I just missing something.

Cheers,

Clayton

I have the same doubt.
Proposal:

Change Auth.has_permission from this:

     def has_permission(
         self,
         name='any',
         table_name='',
         record_id=0,
         user_id=None,
         ):

to this:

     def has_permission(
         self,
         name='any',
         table_name='',
         record_id=0,
         user_id=None,
         group_id=None,
         ):

If the caller specifies a group_id, then we check permissions on that group
instead of the groups the user belongs to. It is an error to call
has_permission with both user_id and group_id.

The change would be simple.