I am not sure what you want to do.
Usually response.title is set in the controller.
If you want to do it in the view you would have to set it before the
extend:

{{response.title='not very dynamic'}}
{{extend 'layout.html'}}

Note that you can use your own layout.html, even name it differently.
Have a look in layout.html and see how title is set.

For blocks to work you would also need blocks in the layout, for
example copy layout.html as layout2.html and add the block-end pair as
shown:

{{block mytitle}}
<title>{{=response.title or request.application}}</title>
{{end}}

and in your view:

{{extend 'layout2.html'}}
{{block mytitle}}