The difference is subtle.

mssql is the first version of the adapter, the one that everybody
uses. It stores data as UTF8 but in ascii. That means the length of
the fields is not the number of unicode chars but the length of the
utf8 encoded chars. It also uses BIT for booleans.

mssql2 uses unicode so length is correct and CHAR(1) (T or F) for
booleans. This is newer and less tested.