It's still in beta, but you might also consider something like DotCloud (
http://www.dotcloud.com/) as a possible compromise between the
ease/limitations of GAE and the flexibility/challenges of EC2. They handle a
lot of the system administration and scaling issues for you, but you have
more flexibility than with GAE. In fact, it actually runs on EC2. There's a
web2py deployment tutorial:
http://docs.dotcloud.com/static/tutorials/web2py/. Several Python specific
hosting services are starting to crop up as well (all in beta): pydra.com,
apphosted,com, ep.io, stable.io.

Anthony