I just had a site outage after deploying some code changes. Somehow, some of
my directories and files had become owned by root instead of www-data which
apparently denied some sort of access. I'm not exactly sure how it happens
and what the deal is with www-data.

I'm running Cherokee on Ubuntu. For deployment I use fabric to hg pull from
bitbucket.

I forgot which forlders/files were affected because I did a recursive chown
on the whole directory. Can anyone help me understand the need for www-data
ownership and how to make sure my files/folders remain properly owned.
Thanks.