Sorry if anything here is impractical, but here's a couple of
thoughts...

If you wish to limit the user to make one search only...

* Make an input box to enter the search value, and a drop-down box to
specify the search type.

* If using several input boxes,  you could use JS.  When user starts
typing in one search box,  JS blanks the others.  And/or,  on form
accepts make an onvalidation function and return false if more than
one box completed.

You may also wish to consider allowing the user to specify multiple
searches at the same time.  If he fills in 3 boxes,  do 3 searches and
list all the results.

Regards, D