Thanks Massimo - I was considering using accessible_query.

However, I've now got a problem before I try that - auth.add_permission
doesn't seem to be working:

1

but when I look in the auth_permission table there are no entries.  I've
tried this with alternative syntax:

2

and tried other tables:

3

but still no entries in auth_permission.  Any ideas?