What exactly is the behavior you see? When you go to
http://yoursite.appspot.com/init/default/index, what happens?

What is the exact content of your index.html file? Does it extend any layout
file (if so, what does that look like)?

Have you confirmed that your web2py installation is generally working on
GAE? For example, can you successfully run the 'welcome' app (or any app)?