Each DB has its own methods. The integrity and consistency of
relational data is of crucial importance. I would only trust the
approved and recommended backup tool for the DB.

I normally write separate commandline scripts to do the backups which
run from cron during the night. The script also rsyncs a copy to
another server.

I keep a daily backup for an entire month naming the files db_01,
db_02 ... db_31.  Then the next month will overwrite the previous
month.  In my case backups over a month old are pretty useless.

Clearly you will have to analyse your own requirements. Those scripts
can run for years without any maintenance so its worth a little
thought to get them right.