D,

> I often use Firebird and it supports Global Temporary Tables. I wonder
> whether that is something designed to resolve Adam's requirement. You
> can keep the temporary data even when the connection is lost.
>
> http://www.firebirdsql.org/rlsnotesh/rlsnotes210.html#rnfb210-globaltemp
>
> I am of course assuming here that whatever Firebird has,  Oracle will
> have even more of it.

I used to use Interbase a lot and the progress of that into Firebird was
exciting and I thenh used it even more :-)

Interbase/Firebird was rare in it's support of many features including
row-versioning (which would make what Adam wants to do much safer). It can
me an expensive assumption to believe that Oracle will have the same
features as free software.:-)

Dave

--
Dave Warnock: http://42.blogs.warnock.me.uk