On Mar 31, 2011, at 9:24 AM, VP wrote:

> Unless I misunderstand the issue at hand here, seriously, I do not
> think this is web2py's scope to do this automatic mapping hyphens or
> dashes to underscores.
>
> Hyphen/dash is a minus sign.  You can't define a Python variable or
> function that has a hyphen/dash.  It's syntactically incorrect.  I do
> not think it's web2py's place to automatically fix this syntactical
> error.   (For one thing, it seems the side effect of this is that
> underscores are automatically converted to hyphens, which is clearly
> undesirable).
>
> Perhaps, the best thing is letting people turn on this mapping
> optionally.

Perhaps so.

FWIW, though, it's not a question of correcting a syntax error. The motivation
is that underscores in URLs are unattractive, hard to type, and often hard to
read (because of link underlining). The translation option is for having
better-looking URLs.

Here's a suggestion for everyone who is using the new parametric router: if you
care about hyphen translation one way or the other, turn it on or off
explicitly for now, so a change to the default doesn't bite you. This is *only*
a concern if you have (internally) underscores in your a/c/f names.