Thanks Jonathan and Massimo. This makes web2py EVEN more attractive
for high end apps.

I have one further request:

A little history, I use web2py for all heavier lifting (forms and db
processing etc.) but use Tornado for serving pages (see http://fon.st
) with links and redirecting links. I want to turn off DAL for some
actions like the ones above. The model exists and it is being used for
the 'heavy lifting', but for serving links and redirecting I am going
through the cache and the loading happens if the request misses in the
cache. If I could switch off DAL for either some actions OR some
controller(s), I could replace the actions served by Tornado
completely with web2py. Under Tornado I can currently serve about 850
URL re-directions per second (checked on the local server) if they are
in cache, a lot slower if reading from db. Tornado is running behing
Nginx.

So, to translate http://host/CVGFsdf87 to http://google.com (assuming
data in cache), what is the fastest way to do it using web2py?

Regards,

Jay