Just tried this:

test = db(db.cumulativeProperties.id>0).select(limitby=(0,1))
print 'test: {0}'.format(test)

results:
cumulativeProperties.id,cumulativeProperties.uuid,cumulativeProperties.name,cumulativeProperties.value,cumulativeProperties.tag,cumulativeProperties.cmdName
1,365674dc-6371-4215-ad44-c35b5f6159bf,ftp_user,nmcbuild,<NULL>,None

perfect!!!! :) and the bonus, makes it easy and quick to test if
individual fields have content as well just by looping through results
and doing dict(testItems).keys(). If a given field has value,it can
also indicate a met or unmet condition.

question: if i do the this, i get a 'update_record' in the returned
list, does that indicate that something has in fact updated the
record?

and would 'isempty' be a shortcut for ...select(limitby=(0,1) and
return the same data?

thanks,
Mart :)