I read a lot about nested sets and materialized path,
a few years ago I used nested sets with phpdoctrine (
http://www.doctrine-project.org/documentation/manual/1_2/nl/hierarchical-data
)
but I didn't see that before, thank you very much for sharing!

seems close to what I do,  but still there are differences:
- I have an 'optimization' field: precomputed field 'num_children'
- 'line' is the order of the record in the table, not the order of the child
(make sense? ...)
- he uses joins to retrieve subtrees, but I also want it to run on GAE,
which doesn't (yet) support joins, and support comparison operations only on
one field,

I don;t have at the moment speed comparison between different
implementations,
but  I will definitely test against nested sets, and to this model
implementation

thank you again for sharing, I need this kind of links, to know my model
'rivals', to study their strengths and weaknesses :)