I have similar problem with Apache + Nginx running on webfaction, I did not
figure out how to make apache serve images, I already did everything on
apache config.

I have the same problem on CursoDePython.com.br, NatalAnimal.com.br and
SerafimNatural.com.br (which has a photoGallery). Sometimes images dont load
completely, and sometimes it gets too much time to load or is rasterized
during the load process.

I also tried to configure another apache instance witha  different domain to
act as a CDN just to load /static folder, but the problem remains, I think
it is a problem on chunck stream mechanism.