Dear Friends,

My partner and I are working on a small store website for a databases
class. I have found that there is a lot of information about Web2py on
the site and in the book. What I hope to find out from you guys is
some pointers to specific parts of the technology and parts of the
book that we will need to put this project together. In other words,
there's a lot of stuff in the book that we seem not to need.

On one hand, I'm not asking anyone to do our homework for us. On the
other, we can borrow code (like from existing apps, plugins, etc) as
long as we design the SQL part.

This leads to another question. We need to know how difficult it will
be on us since we need to do raw SQL to demonstrate our knowledge of
it (and the prof wasn't very clear on how raw it needs to be). Advice
on that is very helpful.

That's all. I'm just going to paste the relevant part of the
assignment below. Please feel free to help even if you only have
advice on one part.

Yours,
Josh Cason
---------------------------

Objectives
The aim of this project is to implement a client-side database e-
commerce application. You may implement this in any language. You are
also responsible for setting up the server-side database. You are
required to team up with another student. Let’s assume that you have
been hired by Big Blue Nation gift store to set up an online store.
The company sells two types of products: books and toys.

Requirements

Your goal is to create an online store for the Big Blue Nation gift
store. There will be three types of users:
        • customers
        • staff
        • manager

Customers In order to purchase from the store, customers must first
register. Once they are registered, they query and purchase books or
toys. These items are first placed in a shopping basket, and then
ordered. Customers can see the status of orders (i.e., pending or
shipped).
Staff can check inventory, re-stock the online store with more
components, view all customer orders, and ship orders to customers. A
staff member has an on-line ID and a password that he/she can use to
login into the company’s website to perform the previous listed tasks
Manager can do all tasks a staff member can do. In addition, manager
can (1) view statistics about sale information (in the previous week,
month, or year), and (2) decide sales promotions. Manager needs to
login into the company’s website to perform the tasks.

Your project must include the following functionality:

Customer Forms
        Register Allows a new customer to register with the store.
        Shopping Allows a registered customer to list books or toys. The
purchased items may be stored in a shopping basket.
        Purchase Allows a registered customer to view their shopping basket
and click "Purchase". This creates an order for the items that can
then be viewed (and filled) by the store staff.  The staff cannot see
shopping baskets.
        Orders Allows a registered customer to view the orders they have
places and see the status (either Pending or Shipped).

Staff Forms
        Login Screen Staff must login in order to perform these functions. A
single login for all staff is fine.
        View Inventory See a list of all items and their quantity.
        Update Inventory Same as above, but with editable text boxes to
change the quantity of any component.
        Ship Pending Orders View the list of pending orders (components,
price, customer info).
        The staff member can click a "Ship It" button and, if all the
components are available, the status of the order changes from
"Pending" to "Shipped" and the quantities in the inventory are
decreased. If the components are not available, some error page
listing the missing components is generated and the order remains
"Pending".

Manager Forms
        Login Screen may use the staff login form
        View Inventory, Update Inventory, Ship Pending Orders: the same as
those of staff
        Sales Statistics View the list of all items and sales history in the
previous (week, month, or year)
        Sales Promotion View the list of all items and decide the promotion
rate.