I thought this might have gotten lost in the philosophical discussions
about line breaks, so figured I'd post it as a separate thread:

Using the advice given in a previous post, I'm doing this to try to
change the rows and columns for a TEXTAREA:

        form=SQLFORM(db.contest,record=contest,submit_button=T("Save
Changes"),fields=["name","description"],_style='width:100%')

        form.element('textarea')['_rows']=30
        form.element('textarea')['_cols']=80

This works, in that the HTML output does have cols="80" and rows="30".
 And the number of rows does change appropriately.

However, the number of columns displayed for the textarea does not
change, despite the HTML having the right value.

Is there something else that could be overriding the number of
columns?  Something in Javascript perhaps?

Jay